Albany, NY (October 20, 2005) – The Cleaning Industry Research Institute provided an update on its activities in 2005 and plans for 2006 at a press conference on Thursday, October 20th at the ISSA show in Las Vegas. During the press conference, CIRI made four significant announcements:
- Carlisle Sanitary Maintenance Products, Ecolab and ISSA have joined as Founding Sponsors, bringing the total number to 15 organizations
- Dr. Michael Berry will assist with the creation of the Institute’s Scientific Advisory Council
- CIRI launched its official website at: www.ciri-research.org
- The institute is incorporated in the state of New York and ready to receive members
CIRI was first proposed to an audience of 50 Jan/San industry leaders at last year’s ISSA. The goal of the Institute is to raise awareness of the value of cleaning through scientific research.
“We’re extremely excited to have Carlisle, Ecolab and ISSA as Founding Sponsors,” noted Jim Harris, Sr., CIRI Chairman. “They join 12 other industry leading organizations that have provided the initial funding for CIRI.”
“We’re also thrilled to have Dr. Michael Berry involved with our Scientific Advisory Council,” said Frank Wiley, CIRI Executive Director. “When it comes to cleaning science, Dr. Berry truly ‘wrote the book’ with his text – Protecting the Built Environment: Cleaning for Health. ”
The Scientific Advisory Council (SAC) is a permanent sub-committee of the Institute that will provide advice and feedback on crucial points of research, and help define the orientation of projects with regard to the interests of the industry. During its first year, the Council will be engaged in four key activities:
- Identifying all the research that is currently available regarding cleaning science and posting links on the CIRI website
- Doing a meta-analysis of this research, to determine which studies meet the necessary protocols to be considered valid.
- Working with CIRI members to identify new research that can benefit the entire cleaning industry
- Acting as the link between the government and other grant sources and research laboratories, to implement the research
"Our industry does not have this type of scientific advisory council," Harris noted. "We recognize that this alone will provide an enormous benefit in terms of identifying, cataloging and expanding on existing research, to raise awareness and shape public policy. Having Dr. Berry helping us establish this Council will insure that is has the expertise and credibility required."
CIRI’s Founding Sponsors include:
Carlisle Sanitary Maintenance Products
Castle Rock Industries
Cleaning Management Institute
International Sanitary Supply Asso.(ISSA)
P&G Pro Line
The Carpet and Rug Institute